Joy Riot brings the joy of movement back to the stage. Sorrow and laughter exist side by side, rejoicing arises from darkness.
This is not a representation or interpretation of existing riots, but rather an avalanche of movement and energy. The visually abundant piece fills the space and invites the audience to be part of the performance. The audience are invited to move in the performance space and change perspective; to feel the performance up close or from a distance. The performance is suitable for all audiences (seven years and above).
Humans are dancing animals – Joy Riot sets the rebellion free!
Sari Palmgren is a choreographer and performer. She works widely in the dance field, with her career spanning stage works, immersive and site-specific works, theatre, various social choreography projects and dance films. Since the 2000s, she has created performances that have been presented at a variety different festivals and venues in Finland and internationally.
Palmgren graduated with a master’s degree from the Department of Dance at Uniarts Helsinki’s Theatre Academy (TeaK). Her recent works have dealt with humanity’s animalistic side, mortality, and the state of the environment. At the moment, Palmgren is working as the in-house choreographer at Zodiak – The Center for New Dance.
- Choreography and Direction: Sari Palmgren & the group
- On Stage: Minna Karttunen, Oskari Turpeinen, Kaisa Niemi, Krista-Julia Arppo, Sari Palmgren
- Light Design: Heikki Paasonen
- Sound Design: Joonas Pehrsson
- Costume Design: Siru Kosonen
- Production: Zodiak Center for New Dance, Stoa the Cultural Centre of Eastern Helsinki
- Supporters: Samuel Huber Foundation, Arts Promotion Centre Finland, The Finnish Cultural Foundation