The starting point for the performance Life As We Know It has been in imagining directions to which life could go or where we might like it to go.
The imagined directions of life have turned into a performance through exaggeration and dreaming; Life As We Know It can be seen as adults playing at imagining.
Choreographed bodily acts, words and sound are driving the life-pondering world of the performance. Life As We Know It is a speculative stage performance: it imagines the future whilst simultaneously performing it.
To imagine is to create and to use one’s imagination, but imagination is also an area through which we can influence change.
Juha Valkeapää is a vocal artist and performance maker. He works both solo and with many different artists. His performances and installations have been presented at Kunstenfestivaldesarts, Spielart, Theaterformen, Baltic Circle, Baltoscandal and Homo Novus, to give just a few examples.
Maija Hirvanen is a choreographer and performance maker. Her work has been presented at Tanz im August/HAU, ImpulsTanz, Sadler’s Wells/Lilian Baylis Studio, SPRING Festival, Seoul Performing Arts Festival, Dansens Hus/Stockholm, Zodiak, Kiasma, Baltic Circle, Helsinki Festival and Moving in November, amongst others.
- Script, Direction and On Stage: Maija Hirvanen, Juha Valkeapää
- Physical and Dramaturgy: Maija Hirvanen in discussion with the group
- Light and Space Design: Jenni Pystynen
- Sound Design: Ville Kabrell
- Artistic Discussion Partner: Barbara van Lindt
- Dramaturgical Discussion Partner: Aune Kallinen
- Production: Co-production TTT Theatre, Baltic Circle Festival & Espoo City Theatre, Maija Hirvanen, Juha Valkeapää's Ääni Residencies, Santarcangelo Festival, Homo Novus Festival (Riga), De Platoo (Brussels), Teater Viirus
- Supporters: Kone Foundation, Arts Promotion Centre Finland, Theatre Info Finland TINFO's international program MOTI, funded by Finnish Cultural Foundation
- Premiere year: 2020
- Duration: 60 min
- Audience: Adults
- Stage dimensions: 8 m x 10 m x 8 m (negotiable)
- Trailer: Watch here