With Obsessions, devised as a conceptual opera piece, Oblivia dive into the personal as well as political obsessions that drive us.
In movement, gestures and text fragments and to the acoustic and electronic soundscape of the original score by composer Yiran Zhao, the performers shift between ages and places. They pursue recurring patterns of those obsessed with power and those hungry for freedom, all the while revolving around mankind’s never-ending obsession with itself. Within the production’s structure, Obsessions is newly created at every place as local co-production partners as well as local singers and musicians join the team.
Whether it is our constant need for entertainment, our conflict with non-valued emotions or multilevel musings on postmodernism – Oblivia are known for their minimalist approach to the great subject matters that define humanity. With their vibrant performances that allow humour to linger almost constantly, they have toured extensively throughout Europe. Founded in 2000, Oblivia developed a specific work ethic of openness and collaboration that includes viewing each production process as if launching into a journey into the unknown together. Over the last years, Oblivia’s works have shifted to include music theatre.
- Concept and Devicing: Oblivia
- On Stage: Alice Ferl, Timo Fredriksson, Annika Tudeer
- Sound Design: Yiran Zhao
- Costume Design: Tua Helve
- Light Design: Meri Ekola
- Dramaturgy: Anna-Maija Terävä
- Production: Jenny Nordlund
- Production: Oblivia and NOperas - an initiative of the Fonds Experimentelles Musiktheater, jointly sponsored by the NRW KULTURsekretariat and the Kunststiftung NRW in cooperation with Oper Wuppertal and Theater Bremen.
- Supporters: Arts Promotion Centre Finland, Helsinki City, Svenska kulturfonden, TINFO – Theatre Info Finland/ MOTI funded by The Finnish Cultural Foundation
- Premiere year: 2022
- Duration: 1 h 40 min
- Audience: Adults
- Stage dimensions: 12m x 12m x 6m