Manipulation, alternative facts, and magic.
Nothing is what it seems in the exhilaratingly ghastly world of The Ghost Sonata. It is all magic and buffoonery, cruelty and fragility, haziness and clarity. A dreamlike surge is followed by a series of crashes; secrets are revealed, dreams shattered, winners lose and losers win.
The Ghost Sonata is a journey into a world of deceit, wrongdoing, and escalating pretence. Complexity of life, its messiness and tedium, man’s brittle illusions and tender dreams are upended in the cold light of day. The play is a devilishly sharp critique of the human condition and a fitting mirror to our time.
Nationally and internationally acclaimed director Laura Jäntti adapts and directs Strindberg’s The Ghost Sonata at Espoo City Theatre. Three phenomenal performers, actor-mime-clown Siri Hamari, dancer-actor-singer Janne Marja-aho, and a pioneer of physical theatre Ana-Yrsa Falenius, rise to the challenge and lend their multifaceted virtuoso talent and compelling skills to task.
- Adaptation and direction: Laura Jäntti
- On stage: Ana-Yrsa Falenius, Siri Hamari, Janne Marja-aho
- Translation: Lauri Sipari
- Set Design: Milja Salovaara
- Light Design: Joonas Tikkanen
- Production: Co-produced by Ulappa Productions and Espoo City Theatre
- Supporters: Finnish Cultural Fund, the Swedish Cultural Fund in Finland, the Oskar Öflund Fund
- Premiere year: 2022
- Duration: 1h 15min
- Audience: Adults
- Stage dimensions: 10m x 8m x 6m