Vaarna is a surrealist piece in which juggling, physical theatre, and installation art come together, creating a hypnotic and enchanting whole to stimulate the senses.
Vaarna is the work of juggler duo Olli Vuorinen and Isak Lindberg. The kinetic installations manipulated by the jugglers highlight the movement in simple shapes, transforming them into eccentric visual experiences. Objects’ graphic forms and scenographic elements are brought to life in the jugglers’ hands, creating visually impressive stage settings.
The performance is part of the programme of Cirko – Center for New Circus.
Nuua is a new generation Finnish contemporary circus and visual theatre company founded in 2012. It has claimed its place on the international contemporary circus stage with its experimental works. Nuua collaborates with various artists, bringing internationally trained circus artists to Finland and creating a new vision for contemporary circus in the country.
Nuua has developed a direction in which circus is understood as an unifying element binding different performing art forms. Nuua renews juggling as object theatre and concepts connecting body and object movements, and explores the theatrical expression of circus skills.
- Artistic Concept: Olli Vuorinen, Isak Lindberg
- On Stage: Olli Vuorinen, Isak Lindberg
- Light Design: Teo Lanerva
- Music and Sound Design: Petteri Rajanti
- Costume Design: Anne Jämsä
- Photos: Jeromy Twick and Teo Lanerva
- Production: Nuua, Pragma Helsinki
- Supporters: Arts Promotion Centre Finland, City of Helsinki, Kulturgjuteriet Borrby, Samuel Huber Foundation
- Premiere year: 2021
- Duration: 60 min
- Audience: Adults, Youth, Children
- Stage dimensions: 10 m x 8 m x 6 m
- Technical rider: Download rider