PERTO is the Portuguese word for ‘near', 'close'.
A transdisciplinary performance experimenting with the potentials of live video on stage, dealing with human relationships mediated through technology.
Transforming the meanings of the actions on stage by simple video manipulation, PERTO blurs boundaries between ‘virtual’ and ‘real', creating a complex network of interactions between the performers, combining contemporary circus, video art, dance and physical theatre.
Portmanteau is a contemporary circus company from Finland, focused on creating multidisciplinary performances exploring the dialogue between circus and other art forms.
In a constant search for new and poetic aesthetics within the performing arts, Portmanteau was founded as a collaboration between the circus/visual artist Luis Sartori do Vale and the dancer/circus artist Mira Ravald.
It has been touring internationally since 2018, warmly received by both audience and critics alike.
With its first production, the multidisciplinary performance Portmanteau, the company has received the Sirkuksen Lumo Award 2018, as an acknowledgement of the work done to promote Finnish circus arts.
With Piste, piste, piste, they were selected as the ITU Performance 2020. In 2021 they were nominated for the Outstanding Emerging Company category in the International Circus Awards.
- Direction Luis Sartori do Vale
- Concept Luis Sartori do Vale, Sanna Vellava, André Mintz
- Performance Luis Sartori do Vale, Mira Ravald, Saku Mäkelä, Milla Järvinen Rodrigo Borges,
- Light design Jere Mönkkönen
- Sound design Petteri Rajanti
- Production WHS, Portmanteau
- Supporters Arts Promotion Centre Finland, Finnish Cultural Foundation, Samuel Huberin Taidesäätiö, Cirko – Center for New Circus, Embassy of Brazil in Helsinki / Brazil-Finland Cultural Center
- Premiere year 2021
- Duration 60 min
- Audience Adults, Youth, 8+
- Stage dimensions 9x10x6
Contact Company Portmanteau
Luis Sartori do Vale